- About Council
- About Maroondah
- Animals, Local Laws & Permits
- Community & Health
- Community Business Partnerships
- Community Directory
- Community Funding
- Community Involvement
- Community Diversity
- Families and Children
- Fundraising & Community Events
- Notlen Reserve and Norwood Preschool closed
- Older People
- Public Health
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Volunteering in Maroondah
- Welfare & Financial Assistance
- Developing Maroondah
- Environment & Waste
- Green Space
- Leisure & Recreation
- Planning, Building & Property
- Ringwood Activities Area
- Transport & Parking
Capital works projects
Council’s $27.9 million capital works program ensures our assets meet the needs of our community now and into the future.
Below are a number of capital works projects that are currently underway in the City of Maroondah.
Ringwood Activities Area updates
For up-to-date information on developments in the Ringwood Activites Area - including thecosntruction of Costco Wholesale - please visit the Ringwood Activities Area page.
Council will be undertaking road improvements in Montgomery Court, Kilsyth starting Wednesday, 1 May 2013.
Works are expected to take six weeks and will be completed by mid June 2013, weather permitting.
The improvement will include:
- an asphalt reseal and the reconstruction of kerb and channel along the entire length of Montgomery Court
- reconstruction of vehicle crossing and footpaths to match new kerb and channel levels.
Thanks to an extra $250,000 in State Government funding, the $450,000 worth of upgrades to almost double the size of Barngenong Reserve pavilion in Croydon have now begun.
The works will be a great welcome to Croydon Football Club Juniors and Croydon Baseball Club and will see the pavilion expanded to accommodate new change rooms and amenities, including an accessible toilet.
There will also be a new time keepers’ area constructed which will overlook both ovals; and an extended social area with floor to ceiling glass windows looking out over the baseball diamond.
New outdoor decking will also be installed on both sides of the pavilion to provide more social and seating areas for spectators on game days.
The construction of Sherbrook Park, on the corner of Sherbrook Avenue and Grant Crescent, Ringwood, has now begun.
Located on the corner of Sherbrook Avenue and Grant Crescent, the $450,000 park, funded by Council, the Victorian Government and ConnectEast, has transformed 3000sqm of grassland into a community play space.
The design of the park is based on a home theme, with play areas representing a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and outdoor areas.
There will also be:
- an ampitheatre
- barbecue facilities
- shaded areas
- 800sqm grassed multipurpose space
- plenty of seating.
Road safety improvements along Kent Avenue between Maroondah Highway and Croydon Central shopping centre have commenced.
These works are a result of extensive community consultation in 2011 and 2012 and include:
- a central median strip along sections of Kent Avenue
- kerb outstands to narrow the road and act as traffic calming elements, at the intersections of Douglas Parade, Somerset Drive and Stirling Road
- full road resurfacing along Kent Avenue between Maroondah Highway and Croydon Road roundabout.
The design will also incorporate bicycle lanes along sections of Kent Avenue, some changes to on-street parking as well as moving the existing bus stop outside number 60 Kent Avenue - approximately 25 metres to the north.
The key objective is traffic calming and an improvement to the road alignment, reducing speeding and also protecting cyclists through the bends.
The works are expected to be completed by June 2013.
Extensive works have commenced at Karralyka Centre, including extension of the kitchen and storage areas and the installation of a lift to enable easy access from the Mines Road entrance to the upper levels of the Centre.
Works are also underway to upgrade the lighting and sound systems, and the car park will be resurfaced with asphalt.
Car park works have now commenced and are expected to be completed by end of February 2013.
These works are expected to be completed by the end of April 2013.
Please note the change to parking when you visit Council's City offices.
Cheong Park Pavilion
Council has been working with South Croydon football and crickets clubs to develop plans to expand the social area in the pavilion.
The clubs were successful in receiving a $250,000 State Government grant for the works, with Council contributing $90,000.
Works will include extending the social room and upgrading toilets and disability access.
Works are expected to be completed by end of March 2013.
Road reconstruction works in Thomas Street, Ringwood have commenced and include:
- reconstruction of road pavement and kerb and channel
- extending the kerb into the road at specific locations to protect street trees and their root systems.
Footpath improvement works
Footpath improvement works have commenced within the right of way between Main Street and the Devon Street carpark, Croydon - adjacent to Subway and Red Cargo.
The works involve:
- reconstructing the existing sealed section of the pathway in concrete.
- using an alternative surface treatment on a section of the pathway to minimise the impact on surrounding trees.
Other capital works projects
- North Ringwood Senior Citizens - upgrade of access for all toilets.
- Tarralla Kindergarten extension (works to be carried out during April school holidays).
Construction of a new $260,000 barn-style building at the Eastfield Pony Club and Light Harness Club at Eastfield Park will soon be completed. The construction includes 10 stables, tack rooms and adjoining day yards.