Main Content Anchor

Rooming houses registration and permits

The following premises must be registered with Council:

  • Hotels/motels
  • Hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • residential accommodation
  • rooming houses

What do I have to do before operating a Rooming House?

Before operating a Rooming House/Shared Accommodation you will be required to meet a number of regulatory requirements associated with Council and Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV).

The rooming house operators licensing scheme, established under the Rooming House Operators Act 2016, came into effect on 26 April 2017. Rooming house operators must apply for, and be granted, a licence through CAV before they can start operating a rooming house. Further information can be found on CAV website Rooming house operators licensing scheme.

Download Council’s Rooming House guide:

Information guide for Rooming Houses  (pdf, 359KB)

Information guide for Rooming Houses  (docx, 93KB)

The information contained in this guide is not exhaustive. 

Getting approval from Council

A number of legal requirements associated with establishing a rooming house are controlled by Council. You may need to obtain approval from our Planning, Building and Community Health teams, as detailed in the following table. 

Who do I need to contact at Council?

Number of Proposed Occupants




Building will accommodate less than 4 persons




Building will accommodate 4 or more persons with 10 or less habitable rooms




Building will accommodate 4 or more persons with 11 or more habitable rooms




N/A =  No Approval Required 
Y =  Approval may be required, contact relevant service area 
* Planning may need to be consulted depending on the planning zone

Community health requirements

In order to register your premises, you will be asked to submit detailed plans of the dwelling, which clearly indicate elements such as the number of bedrooms, the size of each bedroom and number of bathrooms. An Environmental Health Officer will contact you after they have assessed your application.

To discuss the process in more detail, including any associated fees, please contact Community Health Services on 1300 88 22 33.  

Ongoing requirements

Once registered the premises will:

  • Be inspected annually to ensure the rooming house complies with the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.
  • Renew registration fee annually on the 1st January.
  • Renew Rooming House Operator licence every three years.

Failure to register a rooming house

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 failure of a natural person to register prescribed accommodation with their municipal Council may result in a fine of 4 penalty units. Failure of a body corporate to register prescribed accommodation with a municipal council may result in a fine of 10 penalty units.

Further information

Maroondah City Council Contacts

  • Building Services 9298 4327
  • Community Health 9294 5603
  • Statutory Planning 92984287
Back to top