Main Content Anchor

Footpath Dining Extension Permit

To help our local hospitality businesses as they move out of COVID-19 restrictions, Council is providing an opportunity for eligible traders to apply for a Footpath Dining Extension Permit.

What will a Footpath Dining Extension Permit allow?

Eligible hospitality businesses would be permitted to expand their dining and table service onto defined areas of public land including footpaths, streets, laneways, and appropriate on-street car parking spaces. This would allow customers to dine or wait for pickup safely and at an appropriate social distance.  

The permit would be eligible until 30 June 2021.

Guidelines and application details

We are in the process of finalising the guidelines and application forms and these will be released in early October. Businesses will be able to complete an application form online or via mail.

Assessments will be conducted by Council on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration amenity, safety, equity, site-specific conditions, and the need to maintain physical distancing and provide adequate access for pedestrians and essential vehicles. 

Register your interest in applying for a Footpath Dining Extension permit

What you will need to do before you can apply for a Footpath Dining Extension permit

To be eligible for the Footpath Dining Extension Permit you must meet the criteria outlined in our Street Activities Policy and include with your application:

  • plans detailing the location for the proposed footpath trading
  • a letter of support from neighbouring business owners/managers
  • public Liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million coverage.

Please note, if your business is on a major arterial road or you wish to occupy a carpark on a road which has a speed limit of more than 60kmh, please contact our Traffic Engineering Team on 1300 88 22 33 first to determine your eligibility.

You can view a map of arterial roads within Maroondah to assist.

Victorian Government Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Grant

The Victorian Government has announced an Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package.

Grants of $5000 will be available to licensed and unlicensed hospitality businesses to cover equipment purchase or hire as well as training and advertising costs to help expand outdoor operations. To find out more visit the Business Victoria website

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for a Footpath Dining Extension Permit if I already have a footpath trading permit?
Yes, the extension is for businesses that have existing footpath trading permits. The temporary extension allows the operation of the table service beyond the area in front of your premises.

What if I don‘t have a current permit?
If you don’t have a current permit and wish to apply for an area larger than the trading area in front of your property you will need to complete this extended permit. If the area is directly in front of your business you only need to apply for a general footpath trading permit .

How much does the Footpath Dining Extension permit cost?
Council is currently providing all Footpath Trading permits, including Footpath Dining Extension permits, for free.

Register your interest

Businesses are encouraged to register their interest for a Footpath Dining Extension Permit. Once you have registered we will notify you when the application form and full eligibility criteria become available.

    Do you currently have a footpath trading permit? * (Required)

    Maroondah City Council is committed to protecting your privacy as prescribed by the Privacy & Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001. The information you provide on this form is being collected by Maroondah City Council for the strict purpose of conducting Council business. Your information will not be disclosed to any external party without your consent, unless Council is required or authorised to do so by law. Failure to provide the information requested may make you ineligible to receive the service or be part of an event/function that is the subject of this form. Any access to the information, amendments that may be required or any privacy enquiries may be directed to Council's Privacy Officer & Health Records Officer on 9298 4211 or email


    Back to top