Main Content Anchor

Street Activities Extension Permit FAQs

We have introduced temporary outdoor dining options to help hospitality businesses expand their dining and table services during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The permit ensures businesses set up outdoor areas safely and expand their services in line with current restrictions.

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions on the process and how it will work. See the main application page to apply:  Street Activities Extension Permit

You will need to apply for the Street Activities Extension Permit if you would like to expand your outdoor dining area further than your current Street Activities Permit allows. 

Businesses that already have a Street Activities Permit will not have to apply for a Street Activities Extension Permit unless they wish to provide additional outdoor dining beyond their permitted area. 

If you don’t already have a Street Activities Permit but want to now have extended outdoor dining, you can just apply for the Extended Permit and it will cover both.

The assessment period will vary depending on what the application is requesting, i.e.

  • simple footpath outdoor dining
  • car space(s) in front of the business - a Council owned road
  • car space(s) in front of the business - a VicRoads owned road
  • collective of car spaces
  • closure of a laneway or section of Council-owned road.

Closure of any VicRoads road is not expected to be permitted, however VicRoads is taking applications from businesses.

To identify if a road is owned by Council or VicRoads see our Register of Public Roads 

You can also check a Melways map - a red or black road indicates it is owned by VicRoads.

All requests for outside dining should be directed to:

The Special Events team receives a high volume of applications for filming and road events. Please ensure that the subject heading follows the following format to ensure it is allocated appropriately: Outdoor Dining – your address, your municipality. 

Where a business is unable to offer table service to footpaths, car spaces or road spaces within a reasonable distance, Council will explore opportunities for safe communal outdoor dining areas within each centre. 

In this instance businesses would need to offer take-away dining options that can be consumed at these designated communal areas. These communal spaces will be alcohol and smoke free zones. 

Seating numbers will vary depending on the current easing of restrictions and must be in accordance with current Chief Health Officer advice and Victorian Government requirements. Physical distancing of 1.5m must be maintained between diners.

Legislative requirements state that food must be served if alcohol is provided.  

If you would like to extend your liquor licence to the temporary outdoor area, you can apply for a temporary limited licence from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).  Different considerations need to be made depending on whether your business is on public or private land. For the most up to date information on what is required, visit the VCGLR website. 

An umbrella or marquee roof can be used to create weather protection provided it meets safety requirements. However, it must remain an 'outdoor' open air setting with no enclosed spaces or walls. 

The outdoor roof or marquee will need to be temporary and be able to be removed from the site at the end of trade each day.

If you want to establish outdoor dining in front of other businesses, you must seek the written permission of that business owner.  It is at that business owner's discretion whether they agree to your proposal. Applications would be limited to footpath areas. There is a template for the written permission on the Street Activities Extension Application page

Any table service areas must be near the business. Requests to use public space for this purpose will be considered by Council based on access, safety and amenity. 

Council will be identifying opportunities in each shopping centre that might be appropriate for a communal outdoor dining area. These would enable the community to consume take-away food from local businesses in an outdoor dining environment. Requests for temporary road closures and occupying public land can be submitted for assessment. 

The following cannot be occupied for outdoor dining: 

  • Disabled parking bays
  • Loading zones
  • No Parking zones
  • No Standing zones.

It may be possible to do minor quick repairs depending on capacity and the nature of the issue, however existing pavements, roads and levels will remain unless they are a hazard. If you believe something needs to be fixed urgently by Council, please call 1300 88 22 33 or email 

All existing street furniture will remain in place, such as seats, bike hoops, drinking fountains and bins. Any plans for temporary outdoor dining must work around these where necessary. 

No. Council will be assisting in installing and providing safety barriers for car parking spaces and this will be decided after a case-by-case assessment in consultation with the business owner.  

The furnishing and operations of these spaces is the responsibility of individual business. Eligible hospitality businesses can apply for grants of up to $5000 from the Victorian Government to assist in their outdoor dining setup. Applications open soon. Visit the Business Victoria website for more information. 

The Victorian Government determined that extended outdoor dining options were needed to support hospitality businesses to reopen during COVID-19 restrictions. Unfortunately, having every retailer extend their trade onto the street would not allow for pedestrian safety, physical distancing or the safe passage of essential vehicles.  

We hope that all businesses will benefit by attracting patrons back into the shopping centres. The use of footpath space in front of neighbouring businesses for outdoor dining is solely at the discretion and written agreement of the neighbouring businesses. 

Support for businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic has been provided across all levels of Government. To date Council has been assisting local businesses by waiving or deferring payments for permits and fees; providing access to expert business assistance and business legal advice; offering free online workshops and distributing a regular eNews summary of relevant funding opportunities provided by the Australian and Victorian Governments. See further information on support for business

Council has secured Victorian Government funding for place activation projects in Ringwood East and Croydon South Neighbourhood Activity Centres to support our local businesses and encourage the community to return to local shopping centres post-COVID. Projects at these centres may include pop-up parklets and open space, pedestrian safety improvements and arts and cultural activations and events. 

Back to top