Parking can greatly impact the area around Maroondah Hospital.
Based on existing restrictions and past parking issues, the precinct can extend as far as 500m from the hospital.
At times, this precinct can overlap with the Ringwood East shops and station parking precinct, and includes the special care facilities in Bona Street and Patterson Street, the Old Lilydale Road Shops, and a kindergarten in Everard Road.
A map of the area is shown below.
In managing these streets and the areas for which Council is responsible, we apply a hierarchy of considerations to guide the most appropriate parking controls.
In areas directly next to the hospital and special care facilities, in order, the hierarchy for consideration will be:
- Resident Parking (through time based restrictions, with permits issued to residents exempting them from the restrictions)
- Short-term (2P or less) to medium term parking (4P), with medium term parking focused on higher order roads, such as Mt Dandenong Road and Eastfield Road
- Long-term parking.
In residential areas in order, the hierarchy for consideration will be:
- Resident Parking (through time based restrictions, with permits issued to residents exempting them from the restrictions, or resident permit systems where appropriate)
- Visitor and short-term parking (2P or less)
- Long-term Parking
See more information on Permits
Council favours resident parking in this precinct on the basis that it is unreasonable for all available on-street parking in the precinct to be mainly occupied by people working at or attending the hospital.
The Old Lilydale Road shops precinct sits with the Maroondah Hospital precinct. In order, the hierarchy for consideration is:
- Protection of environmental areas within road reservations
- Accessible parking
- Short-term parking (2P or less)
- Medium-term parking (4P)
- Trader parking.
The State Government will be constructing a new parking facility at the hospital that will provide an extra 500 spaces. Once completed, Council officers will then undertake a formal review of parking in the precinct.