Noise complaints

Before making a complaint to Council first discuss any noise issues with your neighbour, or the person responsible for the noise. On many occasions, a person may not even know that they are causing a nuisance. Please note the below process is not for barking dog complaints.

The general noise complaint process

If you would like to make a noise complaint, provide us with: 

  • the date
  • type of disturbance
  • address where the noise occurred
  • your telephone number.

See our contact details, or submit an online complaint

A Local Laws Officer may contact you and discuss options before any action is taken.

Barking dog noise complaint

Please do not submit a barking dog noise complaint under the general noise complaint process. If you have an issue with a barking dog, please view our barking dog page

Current EPA regulations

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) specifies prohibited hours and items of equipment under the current Environmental Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008

Prohibited times for residential noise

For items such as motor vehicles, lawn mowers, electric power tools, air conditioners, see the current EPA regulations for residential noise

Equipment use within permitted hours may be unreasonable, depending on the circumstances of use.

Contact Council on 1300 88 22 33 if you have concerns.

Who to contact

Barking dogs

Dogs that bark excessively can quickly become a source of irritation and annoyance for neighbours and others.

Our Barking dogs page explains what can be done about a barking dog, and how to proceed with a formal complaint. 


To report excessive noise from a party that extends beyond the following times, we recommend you call your local police station.

  • Monday to Thursday: before 7am and after 10pm
  • Friday: before 7am and after 11pm
  • Saturday and public holidays: before 9am and after 11pm
  • Sunday: before 9am and after 10pm

For repeated or regular issues with party noise, please contact Maroondah City Council to discuss what would be considered excessive noise and what can be done.


If a school is creating a noise nuisance, contact the Department of Education Regional Office on 9265 2400.

Noise from buildings on Council land

For buildings such as scout halls and sporting clubs, contact Council's Leisure Services Unit on 1300 88 22 33.

Commercial premises

Reports about noise from shops and small commercial premises are best resolved directly with the person or premises responsible for making the noise. 

Construction sites - residential and commercial

Normal work hours for commercial construction sites are:

  • 7am - 6pm Mon to Friday
  • 7am - 1pm Saturday 

See more on noise in building of large developments such as supermarkets or apartment blocks.

Normal work hours for residential construction are:

  • 7am - 8 pm  Monday to Friday
  • 9am - 8 pm Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

See more on noise in construction work at houses and apartments, carried out by residents or by builders.

Contact Council on 1300 88 22 33 if you have concerns.

Major industry

The Environment Protection Authority will investigate noise reports about major industries. Under the State Environment Protection Policy (Control of noise from commerce, industry and trade) No N-1 sets limits for noise from industry.  

Contact the EPA on 1300 372 842.

Work environment

Issues with noise in your work environment can be referred to the Victorian Workcover Authority on 03 9628 8115.