Apply for a planning permit

A planning permit is required for projects such as:

  • construction of a building or carrying out works on an existing property
  • construction of a multi-dwelling development
  • subdivision of land
  • erection of advertising signs
  • buildings for office or warehouse use. 

See our video on the planning permit process

Is a planning permit required?

If you need written planning advice from Council you can submit a Planning Information Request: 

Planning Information Request

You can also discuss your proposal with our planning officers and confirm any application requirements. 

Does your application qualify for VicSmart?

VicSmart is a fast track planning process for straightforward planning permit applications. To see if your application qualifies, and to ensure you provide all necessary details, read more about the VicSmart process. You will then apply for a permit in the usual way.

Submit a planning permit application

Once you know you require a permit, you can apply either online or in writing.

You will need to:

Apply for a planning permit

What you need to provide

Applicant details

  • Give your full name or the name of the company.
  • Give your full postal address and your contact phone number.

Land details

Give the street number, street name, suburb and postcode (or lot number/lodged plan number) and attach a recent copy of the title. 

You can obtain a title (including attachments like Covenants and Section 173 Agreements) from

Supporting documentation

Attach a plan which includes:

  • the boundaries of the land and their measurements
  • the street it faces, the nearest intersecting street, the distance from this street and the name of all streets on the plan
  • the direction of north and the scale of the plan
  • a copy of any Restrictive Covenant on the land, if the title shows one exists.

We advise discussing your proposed application with our planning officers before the application is finalised and submitted, which can avoid both cost and delay.

Your proposal

Your application must include a plain English description of the proposal.

  • Clearly state the nature of the proposal, this will be used in any notice about the application
  • Briefly describe the current use of the land and any buildings
  • Include a copy of plans
  • Attach additional information if there is insufficient room

The cost of the development

If a permit is required to develop land, you must give the estimated cost of the development. This is used to calculate the fee you will have to pay.

"Development" refers to the buildings and works you intend to construct on the land. If no buildings or works are proposed and you only intend to change the use of an existing building or on the land, then the fee applicable is for a change of use.

The Metropolitan Planning Levy (MPL) is a Victorian State Government fee that applies to developments with an estimated cost of more than $1 million. This figure is indexed annually. See the  State Revenue Office for the specific amount and further information.


The relevant fee must be included with your application or it will be deemed incomplete. 

  • Payment online by credit card at the time of submitting and online application.
  • Payment in person can be made by cash, EFTPOS or credit card
  • Payment by mail can be by cheque, money order, make payable to Maroondah City Council.

View the planning fees and charges

Processing time

The average processing time once we receive your complete application is approximately 8 to 10 weeks. If your application requires further information after submission and/or advertising this will extend the timeframes. Timeframes can also be affected by referral to service authorities (water, gas etc.) which can take an additional 3 to 4 weeks.

Building surveyors

Before a building surveyor issues a Building Permit, they should check if a Planning Permit is required. If written confirmation is required, apply using a Planning Information Request.

Amending a Planning Permit

Read more about the planning permit amendment process 

To amend a Planning Permit and or Endorsed Plans which have previously been issued by Council, you can apply using an Application to amend a planning permit or plans

This form can be used for amendments pursuant to Section 72 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and Secondary Consent applications.

Extension of time

You can request an extension to the start or completion date of the issued permit.

Application for extension of time

Further information

This information is for guidance only. For further information: