Scams and cyber security
Scams are attempts by criminals to gain access to your personal or financial information.
Scam emails, text messages and websites can look very convincing. They are designed to trick you and often copy features such as logos and branding.
Signs of scams
- You are not referred to by name.
- Bad spelling and grammar, jumbled words and symbols.
- Asking for money or personal details.
- Ask you to open an attachment.
- Ask you to click a link and enter bank details or personal information.
- Ask for payment in bitcoin or other unusual ways.
Protect yourself against scammers
- Do not provide credit card details or give out your bank details, tax file number or date of birth unless you know the request is legitimate.
- Use caution when downloading attachments or clicking links in emails and text messages. Opening an attachment could download spyware or a virus.
- Check the senders email address and the URL of the web page you are visiting.
Verifying Council contact
We take the security and privacy of your personal information very seriously. We have systems in place to make sure your information and transactions with us are safe.
- We always send emails from @maroondah.vic.gov.au
- Our SMS and emails will never include personal or financial information. And we will never ask for your personal or financial information.
- Council does send texts (SMS) and emails for overdue payments.
- We will never use social media platforms to ask you for payment or personal information.
- We will not door knock offering rebates or incentives.
If you're not sure whether a Council message is real, contact us.
Report Council impersonation scams
Please contact us if you notice any suspicious emails or activity relating to Council.
Report a scam to Scamwatch
If you would like further information of if think you have been scammed you can report it on the .
Community Satisfaction Survey
The 2023 Community Satisfaction Survey will run in Maroondah from 23 January to 19 March 2023. Your household may receive a call from an independent market research agency, National Field Services during this time.
Please be assured that your details and individual responses are confidential. Only the overall results are shared with Council.
If you have any questions about the survey, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 1300 88 22 33.
Find out more about the Community Satisfaction Survey.