Maroondah is home to a number of rare and locally or regionally significant Indigenous species.
These species are under tremendous pressure from weed infestation and vandalism, as well as:
- illegal dumping of soil and mulch
- ‘building rubbish’ - which can include soil and weed seeds - leading to germination and weed infestation
- garden ‘escapees’ - exotic and invasive native species flowering and dispersing their seeds.
The Maroondah Bushland team, with support from volunteers, maintains these reserves by removing weed infestations and regenerating or revegetating depleted areas.
The benefits of creating your own Indigenous garden
Building your own indigenous garden can:
- strengthen existing corridors and increase the number of habitat pockets within Maroondah
- can create new corridors that link to remnant flora and fauna ecosystems in Maroondah’s bushland reserves
- protect fragile local natural areas by reducing potential weed infestations caused by weedy plants escaping from gardens
- create new habitats for wildlife
- significantly reduce ongoing maintenance, fertiliser and water use
- create inviting outdoor living areas
- raise awareness and appreciation of local indigenous vegetation and wildlife.
If you have any queries about creating an Indigenous garden at home, please call Derek Ashton, Bushland Revegetation and Community Supervisor, in our Bushland Team on 1300 88 22 33.
Indigenous plant list of Maroondah
Indigenous plant list of Maroondah(PDF, 614KB)
Indigenous plant list of Maroondah(DOCX, 38KB)
Indigenous Gardens booklet - creating habitat for people and wildlife in Maroondah
Download a copy of the Indigenous Garden booklet, a collaboration between CRISP Nursery and Maroondah City Council, for lots of practical advice for the home gardener.
Indigenous Gardens booklet(PDF, 4MB)
17 Greenwood Avenue
Ph: 9879 3911
Candlebark Community Nursery
Corner of Hull Road and Taylor Road
Mooroolbark (enter off Hull Road)
9727 0594 or 0448 011 604
Please contact the community nurseries to check opening hours.