Running a business from home

There are a number of requirements that need to be met before you can run your business from a residence in Maroondah. There are also a number of exceptions to these requirements.

Under the Planning Scheme, this is called a Home Based Business. This information is a summary of Clause 52.11 of the Maroondah Planning Scheme.

Do I need a planning permit for my home business?

You do not need a planning permit if you are working from home and your occupation meets the following requirements:

  • The person conducting the work also uses the property as their principal place of residence.
  • No more than two people who do not live in the dwelling may work in the home based business at any one time. (*see exceptions).
  • The gross floor area used (including storage areas) is:
    • not greater than 100m2, or
    • one-third of the gross floor area of the dwelling.

      (* see exceptions)

  • The work undertaken does not impact water, gas or electricity greater than normally required for domestic use.
  • The work undertaken does not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood in any way, including:
    • the appearance of any building, works or materials used
    • the parking of motor vehicles
    • the transporting of materials or goods to, or from the dwelling
    • the hours of operation
    • electrical interference
    • the storage of chemicals, gasses or other hazardous materials
    • emissions from the site.
  • Motor vehicles are not serviced or repaired at the property.
  • Only one commercial vehicle is present at anytime. The vehicle must:
    • not exceed 2 tonnes capacity, with or without a trailer
    • be registered to a resident of the property
    • not be repaired or fuelled on the site.
  • No goods other than goods manufactured or serviced as part of the work taking place at the property may be offered for sale. This requirement does not apply to goods offered for sale online.
  • Materials used or goods manufactured, serviced or repaired at the property must be stored in the building.
  • Goods manufactured, serviced or repaired at the property cannot be displayed so that they are visible from outside the site.
  • Any goods offered for sale online must not be collected from the dwelling.


Home based businesses can display a sign with a display area of no more than 0.2 sqm on the dwelling or on the land around the dwelling. For example, that's a sign no larger than:

  • 50cm x 40cm
  • 20cm x 100cm
  • or an equivalent area.


There are circumstances when a planning permit may be issued if you are working from home.  You may be granted a planning permit which allows:

  • no more than 3 people who do not live at the property to work in the business
  • a business to be operated from a dwelling that has a floor area no greater than 200m2, or one-third of the gross floor area of the property, whichever is less
  • one additional commercial vehicle, not exceeding 2 tonnes capacity with or without a trailer, and is registered to a resident of the property, to be present at any time.

Apply for a Planning Permit

Other considerations

Other factors we consider before granting a permit:

  • Whether there is a need for additional parking or loading facilities.
  • The effect of any vehicle parking, storage or washing facilities on the amenity and character of the street.
  • Whether the site is suitable for the particular occupation and is compatible with the surrounding use and development.
  • Whether there is a need for landscaping to screen any outbuildings or parking/loading areas, or any other area relating the work.

Selling food or operating a personal care business at home?

You will also need to register your business with Community Health:

Further information

Contact Statutory Planning on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598 or visit our offices at Realm, 179 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood.