Main Content Anchor

New food premises registration

Any business involved in the sale or preparation of food and located in the municipality, must register its premises with Council.

Register your food premises

To register your food premises with Council:

  1. Submit a New Food Premises pre-application form
    In the form, tell us the type of food you will be preparing and selling, and provide a plan of the premises, identifying the fittings, finishes and workflow of the premises.   An Environmental Health Officer will use this to assess if your premises comply with all relevant Food Act legislation.
    New food premises pre-application form

    Other Council permits
    You may require other Council permits for your application. View our Starting or Growing Your Business page for further information on permits you may need.

  2. Fit out your business

    Once your application is assessed and approved, you can fit out the food business knowing you are meeting all requirements. This also prevents structural changes being requested at the registration inspection. 

Application to register

If your business meets requirements satisfactorily at the registration inspection, you will be given permission to trade following the lodgement of an Application to Register and payment of applicable fee.

Class 4 - Low Risk Packaged food only - Notification

If you are purchasing a low risk packaged food premises, you must notify Council by completing a notification form instead of registering. 

Notification Form for Class 4 Food Premises  (doc, 866KB)
Notification Form for Class 4 Food Premises  (pdf, 590KB)

Please complete the notification form and email it to


Pre-Application Fees

Class 1  $340 
Class 2  $345 
Class 3  $235 
Class 4  No fee 
Large manufacturers or supermarkets $450 
Very large restaurants/cafes/hotels/clubs $340 

Registration Fees (annual renewal) 

Class 1 $620
Class 2 $515
Class 3 $385
Class 4 No fee
Large manufacturers or supermarkets $2,480
Very large restaurants/cafes/hotels/clubs $730

Please note: these fees are subject to change each financial year. 

Classification of premises

Class 1 and 2 food premises must also submit a food safety supervisor certificate and maintain an appropriate food safety program on site.

Starting a food business?

To learn more about the processes involved when starting a food business, the DHHS Food Safety Unit has two animations to help. The text is also available in four languages (Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic and Hindi)

Starting a food business

Thinking of setting up a market stall or mobile food vehicle?

See more about registering temporary or mobile food premises

Further information

Back to top