Croydon Main St. shopping centre - Proposed declaration of special rat
At its meeting on 24 June 2019, Council resolved to give public notice of its intention to declare a special rate and charge scheme, pursuant to sections 163 and 223 of the Local Government Act 1989, for the purpose of defraying expenses in relation to the promotion, advertising, marketing and development of businesses in the Croydon Main St Shopping Centre. (“the proposed declaration”).
If made, the proposed declaration will
- be for a period of five years.
- record that, in Council’s opinion, the promotion, advertising, marketing and development of businesses in the Croydon Main St. Shopping Centre is or will be of special benefit to those persons required to pay the special rate and charge.
- specify that the special rate and charge will apply to land specified in the proposed declaration (being land located within the Croydon Main St. Shopping Centre).
- specify that the basis of calculation of the special rate and charge will be as follows:
- A special charge of $487.65 per annum per primary beneficiary contributor with ground floor frontages to Main St (unless otherwise stated). A special charge of $243.83 per annum for all secondary beneficiaries, defined as ground floor properties without frontages to Main St and those located on Mt Dandenong Road, Thomas Brew Lane, Hewish Road, San Carlos Walk, Hewmart Arcade, Lacey St and Centreway Arcade, and those properties located between and including 12 to 44-48 Main St. A special charge of $121.91 per annum for all third-tier beneficiaries, defined as all first floor properties.
- A further rate per contributor based on .000541987 cents in the dollar of the CIV of the rated property.
5. specify that the amount of the special rate and charge will be the amount shown as due and payable in any Notice sent to a person required to pay the special rate and charge.
The special rate and charge will be payable by property owners (or occupiers).
Copies of the proposed declaration are available for inspection during normal business hours at Council’s Ringwood office (Braeside Ave, Ringwood) for at least 28 days after the date of this notice.
A person may make a submission in relation to Council's proposed declaration. Submissions will be considered in accordance with section 223 of the Local Government Act and must be received by 5pm 30 July 2019.
In addition, any person who will be required to pay the special rate and charge is also entitled to exercise a right of objection under section 163B of the Local Government Act. A person who is an occupier is entitled to exercise the right of objection if the person submits documentary evidence with the objection which shows that it is a condition of the lease under which the person is an occupier that the occupier is to pay the special rate and charge. The right of objection is in addition to the right to make a submission. An objection must be lodged in writing within 28 days of which this notice is published.
Submissions and objections must be addressed to: Mr Steve Kozlowski, Chief Executive Officer, Maroondah City Council, PO Box 156, Ringwood, 3134.
All submissions and objections received will be made publicly available.
A person making a submission is entitled to request in the submission that he or she wishes to appear in person, or to be represented by a person specified in the submission, at a meeting to be heard in support of the submission. Council will consider all submissions and objections received and whether to make the proposed declaration at a meeting on 16 September 2019 (or such other date as Council subsequently determines). Any person requiring further information concerning the declaration of the special rate and charge should contact Council on 9298 4679.
Chief Executive Officer