Maroondah is a storm-prone area, experiencing severe storm events on a regular basis, often resulting in property damage, flooding and personal injury.
The StormSafe campaign has been developed with the State Emergency Service to help ‘at risk’ communities prepare for storm events.
It is important to ensure your property is protected well before a storm occurs.
Tips to ensure your property is StormSafe:
- Develop a home or business emergency plan.
- Assemble an emergency kit.
- Clean the gutters, downpipes and drains and ensure they are in good order and not blocked.
- Trim overhanging branches.
- Make sure your roof is in good repair.
- Tidy your yard and verandah to ensure unsecured items do not become potential missiles.
- Inspect and fix fences.
- Power blackouts can happen when storms damage power lines. Have a torch and battery-operated radio. Keep mobile phone fully charged.
- Keep your yard or porch free of clutter. If weather warnings are issued, move outdoor furniture and play equipment into the garage or shed.
- Check that you have adequate building and contents insurance for your home or business.
- Keep an up-to-date list of emergency numbers near the telephone.
The SES has developed local flood guides to explain local flood risks. Check the SES flood guide for Maroondah City Council.
See the SES website for information to ensure your home is protected from flooding and to learn about how to ready your home or business if you live in a flood-prone area.