Apply for a building permit

Most building work in Victoria requires a building permit. A building permit must be obtained before work commences on any project 

Get advice

Our Building Services team can advise on building regulations for works such as alterations, pools, sheds and fences. 

Call 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598 to discuss building regulations and the permit application process.

Request planning information

Before applying for a building permit, you should also contact Council's Planning Services on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598 to see if your project may require a planning permit.

We recommend that you obtain this advice in writing by using our planning information request form. 

Application forms 

Apply for a Building Permit online or in writing

You can also Amend a Building Permit Application

Building checklist 

There are a number of supporting items you may need in order to obtain a building permit. 

We have prepared the following checklist as a guide, however we also recommend you discuss the process with a Building Surveyor as requirements may vary. 

  • A Building Permit Application form  View our Building Permit forms.
  • Copy of Title and Plan of Subdivision A recent copy of title showing true dimensions, land area, boundary lines, easements, encumbrances, etc. This should also include any related documents e.g. s.173 agreements, building envelopes. You can download a copy of this from
  • Owner Builder - Certificate of Consent A Certificate of Consent, issued by the Building Practitioner’s Board (this is required where the value of the building work exceeds $16,000.00.
  • Builders Insurance (domestic building work only) If you appoint a Builder to your project and, the value of the building works is over $5,000, the builder is required to be a Registered Domestic Builder. Where the value of the building work is over $16,000, the Builder must provide a Warranty Insurance certificate prior to the issue of the Building Permit.
  • Plans It is recommended you contact a draftsperson or architect to have these properly prepared and drawn to metric scale.
  • Site Plan showing:
    • All property boundaries dimensioned to accord with the title;
    • The location of existing buildings and the proposed building and its setbacks from the side, rear and front boundaries;
    • The location of existing buildings on the adjoining properties;
    • The location of any easements on the site;
    • The extent and location of all site excavations or filling;
    • The proposed location of the stormwater drains to the legal point of discharge.
  • Siting requirements:
    Overlooking diagrams
    Boundary fencing heights and types
    Location/s of affected adjoining dwellings and their associated
    habitable room windows and secluded private open space.
  • Elevation Plan showing:
    The slope of the land;
    The height of the structure;
    Location of landings, stairs and handrail heights.

  • Floor Plan showing:
    The floor plan must be fully dimensioned;
    The location of smoke detectors should also be indicated.

  • Section Plan showing:
    Type of footings proposed;
    The founding depth;
    The type of deck construction.

  • Specifications
    Specifications can be shown on either the plan or as a separate document.
    The specification should include structural timber sizes, spans, spacing’s etc., details of wall and ceiling linings, compliance with relevant BCA sections and Australian Standards and other appropriate information.  

  • Soil Report Your Building Surveyor will advise if a geotechnical soil report is required.
  • Termite Protection
  • Council has declared that the entire municipal district is subject to infestation by termites. The method of termite protection must be provided in your building permit documentation.
  • Protection of Adjoining Property
  • Where works are proposed adjacent to property boundaries, Council may require you to serve notices on the adjoining property owners regarding the protection of their property.
  • Structural Drawings & Computations Engineering computations are generally required where building materials cannot be obtained using standard design tables.
  • Planning Permits

    Always check if a Planning Permit is required in addition to the Building Permit. If a Planning Permit has been issued, include a copy of the permit and endorsed plans with your Building Application. (If a Planning Permit is required it must be issued prior to issue of any Building Permit). For any planning enquiries contact Maroondah City Council Planning Services on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598.

  • BAL Assessment If your property has been declared as land within a designated Bushfire Prone Area you will need to have a BAL Assessment and report prepared by a suitably qualified person, such as a Registered Building Practitioner, to determine the relevant Bushfire Attack Level for your property, which will determine the construction requirements appropriate to that level. Identify if your property is located within a Bushfire Prone Area

  • 6 Star Energy Rating Report/ Part J Assessment Depending on whether your project is domestic or commercial in nature you will require one of these reports, prepared by an accredited energy rater, to demonstrate that your design complies with the minimum requirements of the Building Code of Australia for thermal efficiency of the building fabric and services.
  • Legal Point of Discharge (LPD) To ensure any stormwater drainage from the proposed works is constructed to your designated LPD you will need written advice on the location of your LPD from Council. You can apply and pay for the statement online, in writing, or in person using the Property Information application form.
  • Report and Consent Wherever the proposed design does not comply with the prescriptive requirements of the Building Regulations 2006 consent must be obtained from Council prior to issue of a building permit. Consent may be required for the following:
    • Building adjacent to or over an easement – consent from the relevant service authority is also required
    • Siting of a building – boundary setbacks, heights, overlooking, overshadowing etc
    • Building on flood prone land or land subject to overland flow
    • Demolition of a building or facade
    • Public precautions during construction
  • Demolition Demolition of a building must be carried out by a registered Demolisher, who will be responsible for carrying out the works and providing a procedure for demolition; details of public protection and safety measures and relevant insurance policies. You may also need a report and consent (Building Act 1993 s.29A) if the proposed demolition includes any part of the facade of the building and/or more than 50% of the building. See Report and Consent demolition application form.


This information is provided for information purposes only. Maroondah City Council does not accept any liability to anyone who may rely on this information. Please check all information provided here before relying upon it and if necessary obtain your own independent or professional advice. 

Further information

  • Building permit - Call Building Services on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598
  • Planning permit - Call Planning Services on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598