Lost dogs and cats

If you've lost your dog or cat:

If Council finds your pet

If a Council ranger picks up your dog or cat and Council can't contact you, your pet will be taken to Animal Aid in Coldstream, where it will be cared for until it is claimed. 

Fees and fines

When you collect your animal from Animal Aid you will be charged a release fee, which covers the costs of caring for your pet.  This fee is required under State legislation.

Maroondah City Council fines will also apply and will be sent separately.

Confining pets to your property

There are benefits to keeping your pet confined to your property.

Confined pets:

  • tend to live much longer and healthier lives than those allowed to roam.
  • will be safe from traffic injuries or fights with other animals.
  • are less likely to wander and become lost.

Confining your dog

You must securely confine your dog to your property. This means your yard must have a closed gate and an escape-proof fence that your dog cannot jump, get under or go through.

If it is evident that your dog is not securely confined, you can be fined - even if it doesn’t actually leave your property. 

Confining your cat

As a responsible pet owner, please do not allow your cat to trespass on other people’s property.

If your cat does trespass more than once, it may be seized and impounded. You will be issued an order to stop your cat trespassing, and if you don’t comply you can be fined.

Found a lost dog?

If you notice a stray, wandering or lost dog you should let us know as soon as possible.

Call us on 1300 88 22 33  or (03) 9298 4598.