Gym, martial arts, dance studio - what permits do I need?

Already know the address of your proposed business?

If you already know your proposed business address, you can submit an online Business Enquiry form

We’ll get back to you with the Council Permits that are required for that address and type of business.

Not sure where to base your business?

If you’re still exploring location options, the following information can help with the effect different locations have on the need for Council permits, and whether a Planning, Building, Community Health or Street Activities Permit is required.

Do I need a Planning Permit?

The assessment on whether you need a Planning permit is based on the business address, the type of business, the parking needs, and the prior use of the land and permit history. Here are aspects to consider while looking for business premises.

Home-based business?

If your business is home-based, see Running a business from home for any Planning Permit requirements.

Business location

The location of your business can affect whether you need a Planning Permit, or even if you are permitted to run your business there.

Know your location already? Or ready to sign a lease?

  • If you already have a location in mind for your business and would like to get some site-specific advice for your business, you can talk to our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 88 22 33or (03) 9298 4598
  • You can submit a business permit enquiry form, or talk to Council’s Business Concierge, to get accurate information on the Council permits required for your business.

We also encourage you to seek independent legal advice before signing a lease for your business, as not all permit applications are approved.

Not sure of the location yet?

Considerations when narrowing down a location for your business are:

  • Is the location adjacent to a Road Zone Category 1? You can find this information on the VicPlan website A planning permit is required to create or alter access to a Road in a Road Zone Category 1.
  • Are there any restrictions such as S173 or covenant on the title of the land? You can check the title on the Landata website.
  • The premises’ current usage can also impact whether a permit is required. Ask the real-estate agent or the landlord for more information on the current use of the land.

Broadly,most businesses in Maroondah willbe located ina Commercial, Industrial orResidential Zone.You can check the Planning Zones and overlays that apply to your business address using VicPlan. The following table can help determine if a Planning Permit is required.

Business type Definition Commercial zone Industrial zone Residential zone
Gym, martial arts, Pilates studio Premises used by members of a club or group for leisure, recreation, or sport, such as a bowling or tennis club, gymnasium and fitness centre. It may include food and drink for consumption on the premises, and gaming. Permit required Permit required Permit required
Dance studio Indoor recreational facility used for the purpose of learning or rehearsing dance forms Permit required Permit required  Permit required

Car parking requirements

The available car parking arrangements can also affect whether you need a Planning Permit, for your business.

For these types of businesses, a Car Parking Demand Assessment will need to be prepared. It considers trading times, likely patronage, etc. To see the details that must be provided, see Clause 52.06-7 of the Maroondah Planning Scheme.

Building works

The presence of planning overlays on your property will influence if a Planning Permit is required for any building works.

If there are no overlays at the premises and:

  • you are only planning to carry out internal fit-outs to the building, you do not need a Planning Permit.
  • you plan to increase the gross floor area, you may need a Planning Permit.
  • you plan to carry out works to the exterior of the building, you may need a Planning Permit.

If there is an overlay at the premises and:

  • you are planning to carry out internal or external works, you are likely to need a Planning Permit.

For site-specific advice on whether you need a Planning permit, talk to our Statutory Planning Team or submit an online Business permit enquiry

Advertising signage

You may also need a Planning Permit if you want to install advertising signage for your business, depending on the zoning of the premises and the extent of signage proposed. To see if you need a Planning Permit, please contact our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 88 22 33 or (03) 9298 4598.

Ready to apply?

Apply for a Planning Permit

Do I need a Building Permit?

Commercial buildings

Activity Permit required?
Are you changing the use or class of an existing building? eg factory to gym or office to shop/café, office to a hair dressing salon etc Yes
Are you replacing or altering the front façade of your building?


Is your signage less than 3.0m from the street alignment and exceeds 1.0m in height above ground level?


Is your signage more than 3.0m from the street alignment and exceeds a height of 8.0m above ground level and exceeds 6m2 in display area?


Is there a new floor layout of a new or existing building? (Including install of a new mezzanine floor)


Are you removing walls or installing walls in an existing building?


Are you planning alterations to any of the following essential safety measures: change the path of travel to the required exit door, change the locks to a required exit door, the location of existing fire extinguishers.


Is the building over 200m2 and you’re planning alterations to emergency lighting and exit signage or relocation of hose reels, sprinkler heads or smoke detectors?


To apply for a Building Permit:

Do I need a Community Health permit?

A health permit is not required for this type of business.

Do I need a Street Activities Permit?

Trading or advertising on the footpath

Activity Permit required?
Do you plan on adding to street beautification (pots and planter boxes)?


Do you plan on displaying goods?


Do you plan on advertising (A-Frames)?


Please ensure you read and understand the Street Activities Policy and Guidelines before applying.

Apply for a Street Activities Permit

Need help? Talk to our BizHub Concierge

Our BizHub Concierge can guide your business through the application process, and then help you at each step of the way.

Contact BizHub on 9298 4678 (9am to 5pm) or email