Main Content Anchor

Financial assistance

There are a number of services that provide financial support to Maroondah residents.

Ambulance travel

Who: Concession cardholders
What: Free ambulance and air ambulance travel anywhere in Australia in an emergency or on the recommendation of a doctor.

 Australian Banking Association - FAQs: what you need to know about COVID-19 bank relief

Anglicare Financial Counselling Resources

This webpage includes Q & A content on a range of financial issues

Australian Banking Association - FAQs: what you need to know about COVID-19 bank relief

Some banks have eased conditions of repayment of loans to customers in financial hardship, including deferral or restructuring of home loan repayments.

 Find your bank's COVID-19 team

Visit the Financial Difficulty page to find out more information on ways the banks can help you.

Extreme Hardship Support Program – Australian Red Cross (Victorian branch)

Financial relief for people in Victoria to meet urgent needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Australian Taxation Office - COVID-19

Information about ATO measures and tailored support during COVID-19 (novel coronavirus). 

Bereavement allowance

Who: The surviving member of a couple who was not receiving income support before a bereavement.
What: Assistance to adjust to your changed financial circumstances following the death of a partner. The allowance is generally payable from the date of the partner’s death and is subject to an income and asset test.

Bereavement assistance

Who: Victorians who have limited or no funds. 
What: Low-cost funeral services and practical assistance.

A dignified funeral service can be provided where the alternative is a ‘pauper burial’ or an expensive funeral that relatives or friends cannot afford. Bereavement assistance Ltd is a charitable funeral director, registered with the Australian Charities and NFP Commission. They aim to relieve poverty and distress through this service.

Bereavement payment

Who: People who are experiencing:

  • the death of  partner while you were both receiving a payment from us or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • the death of someone you were caring for
  • the death of a child
  • a stillborn child.

What: A Bereavement Payment that helps ease the adjustment to changed financial circumstances after the death of your partner, child or person you were caring for. 

Centrelink advance payment scheme

What: You may get part of your income support payment or Family Tax Benefit (Part A) early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Who can apply: You can apply for an advance after at least 3 months getting 1 of these payments: Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, Farm Household Allowance, JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment, Widow Allowance, Youth Allowance for job seekers.  You can apply for an advance at any time if you're getting 1 of these payments: ABSTUDY, Austudy, Youth Allowance for students, Family Tax Benefit Part A, Mobility Allowance.  When you aren't eligible:  You can't get an advance if you already had one in the past 12 months while getting 1 of these payments: ABSTUDY, Austudy, Farm Household Allowance, Mobility Allowance, JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment – unless you became single in the past 28 days, then you may get an advance, Widow Allowance, Youth Allowance as either a job seeker or student.  You’re also not eligible for an advance if you:  are repaying one you got more than 12 months ago, owe a debt to the Australian Government, can't afford to repay it within 6 months, are outside Australia. 

Centrelink financial information service

Who: All Australians.
What: A free Financial Information Service that is confidential and provides education and information on financial issues.

Energy Concessions

Who: Eligible concession cardholders
What: A variety of concessions and benefits to assist low-income Victorians with energy bills offered by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Financial Assistance and compensation - Victims of Crime

Who: People who have been the victim of a crime.
What: Financial assistance through the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal in the form of compensation from the person who committed the crime, or through civil court action.

Financial counselling - EACH

Who: Low income earners and Centrelink recipients living or working in the City of Maroondah, the City of Knox, Healesville, Yarra Junction and the surrounding areas.
What: Free and confidential financial counselling service.

Financial counsellors can offer:

  •  assessment of your financial situation 
  • advice if you can’t pay bills, fines or debts
  • assistance to work out payments with creditors
  • help with budgeting
  • information about bankruptcy
  • information about possible government assistance
  • consumer information
  • information about your legal rights. 

Financial and other support for COVID-19

Find out about the financial support available to people and businesses affected by COVID-19 

Gambler’s Help

Who: People who are affected by gambling including friends and family.
What: Gambler's Help is a free, professional, confidential counselling service. 

Good Shepherd Microfinance

Who: People on low incomes.
What: Low income loans.

Good Shepherd Microfinance enable people to define and then to realise their own economic wellbeing and to feel valued and in control of their finances and lives.  Find a provider

 Living in Public Housing - Making alterations to your home

Who: People who need to make changes to their home for disability or health and safety reasons.
What: Free and low cost aids, adaptations and disability modifications such as handrails or ramps.

In most cases, modifications are provided free of charge when you ask for them and can give us a letter or a report from your occupational therapist or doctor.

You can submit a request for aids, adaptations and disability modifications by sending:.

  • A letter
  • An application for special accommodation requirements form (.pdf) or the accessible version of the application (.doc)
  • A report completed by a health care professional, like an occupational therapist or a health professional relevant to your disability. 

The information you provide must confirm the need and urgency for the changes. It must also detail the type of modifications needed.

MoneySmart - COVID-19 making financial decisions

An Australian Government website designed to help Australians take control of their money and build a better life with free tools, tips and guidance

COVID-19 making financial decisions

Steps to look after yourself and your money 

Municipal rates concession

Who: Homeowners, for their principal place of residency who have a Pensioner Concession Card or DVA Gold Card
What: A 50% discount off council rates up to a yearly maximum of $208 in 2014-2015.

View the Municipal Rates Concession fact sheet.

No interest loan scheme

Who: Individuals and families on a low income or who have a Health Care Card/Pension Card.

You must have lived in your current residence for more than 3 months and show a willingness and capacity to repay the loan.

What: The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) provides no fees, charges or interest.

Loans may include:

  • Household items like fridges, freezers, washing machines, stoves, clothes dryers and some furniture 
  • Some medical and dental services 
  • Educational essentials such as computers and text books 
  • Some other items as requested.

The NILS program is run by local community organisations at over 600 locations across Australia. 

Salvation Army Financial Assistance

Financial problems can affect anyone, anywhere, at any time. With debt building up, paying your rent or even buying food for your family can feel overwhelming.

Money troubles may leave people feeling lonely, embarrassed and isolated. If your financial situation gives you more of an icy shiver than a warm sense of safety, help is at hand. There are many services to help you get back on your feet.

Step-up low interest loan

StepUP is a low interest loan for people on low incomes who have difficulty accessing credit from a bank. You can borrow from $800 – $3,000 with up to three years to pay it back. There are no fees. 

Utility Relief Grant and Non-Mains Utility Relief Grant schemes

Concessions on utility bills are available for low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship.

          Who: The department and other agencies offer a variety of concessions and benefits to eligible cardholders to assist low-income Victorians during financial hardship. If you have a relevant concession card, you may be eligible for one of these concessions:    

          What:  Utility relief grant scheme (non-mains) - non-mains utility relief is available to Victorians on very low incomes who have experienced unexpected hardship

         Utility relief grant scheme - relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills are available to low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship.             

Telephone allowance

Who: People in financial difficulty.
What: Assistance with the costs of maintaining a telephone and a home internet service.

Telstra - support during COVID-19

  • Late payment fees during COVID-19
    Not charging late payment fees for bills that become overdue between 19 March and 30 June 2020.
    Find out more 
  • Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession card offer
    Offering a $30/month Value Mobile Offer to customers with a valid eligible Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession card.
    Learn more 
  • Discount for JobSeekers
    Offering a discount for eligible consumer and small business customers currently receiving the JobSeeker payment.
    Learn more
Back to top