Main Content Anchor

Street activities permit application form

  • Business
  • Local Laws

See information about street trading and activities 

To conduct street activities that impact on the footpath area, you will need to apply for a permit. In some cases, a Planning Permit and/or Food Act Registration may also be required.

Footpath Dining Extension Permit

Do you want to expand your dining and table service onto defined areas of public land including footpaths, streets, laneways, and appropriate on-street car parking spaces? Then you will need to apply for a Footpath Dining Extension Permit

Already have a  permit?

Permits expire annually on 30 September. A renewal notices will be sent to you before this date. 

Activities that require a permit

  • Tables and chairs
  • Goods display
  • A-Frame sign displays (2 maximum)
  • Shade shelters, umbrellas
  • Freestanding barrier screens
  • Pot plants or planter boxes
  • Queuing for licensed premises

Street activities guidelines and policy

For detailed information on requirements please read:

Application process

1. Prepare required documentation:

  • Public Liability (Certificate of Currency) 
    • noting Maroondah City Council as interested party, and 
    • a minimum indemnity of $20 million 
  • sketch plan of preferred location of items, noting also any permanent fixtures.

2. Apply for Street Activities Permit

You can apply online or in writing:

  • Online
    When we receive your application we will invoice you for payment of the appropriate fee.
    We will process your application once payment is received.
    Apply for Street Activities Permit

3. Assessment.

If approved, you will receive a permit within 10 business days of your application being received.

Fees and charges

Fees are charged are based on the amount of items you require on the street.

See fees and charges

Charity and community groups must complete an application form but are not required to pay the permit fee.

Footpath access

A corridor must be maintained on the footpath and items such as signs, goods, tables or chairs may not occupy a minimum distance of 1.2m from the building/property line of a business.

Areas for each zone vary subject to local conditions. These variations will be considered as each application is assessed.

Back to top