Owner builders

Owner Builders must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $16,000.

Am I an owner builder?

An Owner Builder is defined as a person who is not in the business of building, who constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land. 

As an owner builder, you are restricted to obtaining building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property, in any 3-year period. 

Certificate of consent

A Certificate of Consent is an individual's written approval to act as an Owner Builder on their own land in Victoria. 

If you intend to apply for a building permit for domestic building work as an Owner Builder you must provide a Certificate of Consent, issued by the Building Practitioners Board, to your Building Surveyor.  

A Building Permit cannot be issued until the Certificate of Consent has been lodged with your Building Surveyor. 

Further information

The Victoria Building Authority and Consumer Affairs Victoria provide detailed information on Owner Builders and general advice about building and renovating. 

You can also contact Council’s Building Services on 9298 4327.