Skip bins, bulk waste and shipping containers
A permit is required when a skip bin or bulk waste container is placed on public land. Fines apply where no permit has been issued.
Do I need a permit?
- A permit is required if the skip bin or bulk waste container is to be placed on Council land, this includes the nature strip and road.
- No permit is required if the skip bin or bulk waste container is placed on private land and is permitted under the Maroondah Planning Scheme.
Placement of skip bins
If placed on Council land, the skip bin or bulk waste container must:
Apply for a permit
The bin hire company who is providing a skip bin or bulk waste container to a resident must apply for and be issued a permit prior to the placement of the bin. Most bin hire companies are aware of this requirement.
The assessment process may include an inspection of the site by a Local Laws Officer. If granted, the permit will be emailed to the bin hire company.
See application forms for placing bins and skips in public streets
View the Local Laws schedule of fees to see the cost for placing of skip bin or bulk waste container on Council land.
Accreditation for bin hire companies
Bin hire companies wishing to place a skip bin or bulk waste container on Council land (and have not done so previously) will need to complete the online accreditation form.
Submit the following to Council:
- Complete online Accreditation form
- Upload valid Certificate of Currency of public liability insurance and listing Maroondah City Council as an interested party (to be submitted annually).
See skip bin accreditation forms
- All requirements of VicRoads guidelines for the placement of skip bins and bulk waste containers roadside must be met.
- Bins must not be on site for longer than the period specified on the permit.
- No damage should be caused to Council property or infrastructure.
- The skip bin/bulk waste container must cause no nuisance, such as smell.
- The bin hire company and/or property owner is responsible for clearing any rubbish dumped around the bin.
Please contact Council's Local Laws team on 1300 88 22 33