Waste collection schedule - when will my bins be emptied?
Enter your address to find out what day your next residential General waste, Recycling or FOGO bin collection service is scheduled.
What can you put in your bins?
Items that can go in your waste bin:
- rubbish, nappies, ceramics, meat & food scraps (bagged or wrapped)
- window glass, mirrors, Pyrex & light globes (must be securely wrapped for safety)
- non-recyclable plastics such as plastic bags or polystyrene (bagged or wrapped)
Items that can't go in your waste bin:
- hot ashes
- garden organics
- unwrapped vacuum dust or polystyrene beads
- building renovation material
- bricks, soil or rubble.
Secure your waste
Please ensure your garbage is wrapped securely and that you do not overfill your bin (the lid must close completely). Unsecured waste can blow into drains and into our waterways.
Loose waste can stick to the walls of your bin and spill when tipped. Here are some ways to reduce your use of plastic garbage bags and safely secure your household waste:
- Reuse plastic packaging such as bread bags, frozen fruit and vegetable bags, and rice and pasta packaging.
- Reuse paper bags, boxes and newspaper to wrap waste.
- Use compostable and biodegradable bag alternatives.
See more information about your general waste collection
Items that can go in your recycling bin:
Only rigid plastic bottles and containers can go in your recycling bin.
Flexible, soft plastics such as plastic bags or cling wrap can’t go in your recycle bin.
See a full list of what can and can’t go in your recycling bin
Items that can't go in your recycling bin:
- Recycling in plastic bags
- Plastic bags
- Soft plastic packaging eg. bread bags, chip packets, pasta packets, frozen peas packets
- Cling wrap
- Window glass
- Drinking glass
- Light globes
- Syringes and needles
- Appliances / electronic waste
- Food scraps
- Green waste
- Medical, chemical or hazardous waste
- Waxed or soiled cardboard.
Please wrap Pyrex, white glass, mirrors, drinking glasses, light globes and ceramics in newspaper for safety and put these in your garbage bin.
Contact us on 1300 88 22 33 if you are unsure on what can be recycled in Maroondah.
Find out more about your recycling collection
Food organics and garden organics
Items that can go in your FOGO bin:
- Fruit and vegetable scraps, including those that are not traditionally composted at home, including citrus, garlic, onion and chilli
- Plate scrapings, leftovers, mouldy and expired food
- Bread, rice, pasta and cereals
- Nuts, grains and seeds
- Meat and bones (raw and cooked)
- Soft seafood shells including prawn and lobster shells
- Dairy and eggs
- Loose tea leaves and coffee grounds
- Desserts, pastries and cakes
- Council-supplied liners
- Grass clippings
- Small branches and logs (up to 10cm in diameter and 40cm in length)
- Sticks and twigs
- Weeds and flowers
- Garden prunings
Items that cannot go in your FOGO bin:
- Liners not supplied by Council
- All food packaging including stickers, elastic bands and plastic wrap/cling wrap
- Compostable or biodegradable packaging
- Nappies and sanitary items
- Animal waste and kitty litter
- Textiles and fabric, including natural fibres
- Hard seafood shells, including oyster shells and clam shells
- Liquids including cooking oil and milk
- Teabags and coffee pods
- Vacuum dust
- Treated and painted timber
- Ash, rocks and soil
- Bricks and building materials
- Disposable baby and makeup wipes, including those labelled as biodegradable or compostable
- Plastic items and plastic bags
- Metals and wire
- Gardening items, including plant pots, gardening tools, garden hoses
Find out more about FOGO