Abandoned or unregistered vehicles
The Local Government Act 1989 empowers Council to impound abandoned or unregistered vehicles left in a public place.
Maroondah City Council will consider a vehicle to be abandoned if it is:
- registered but has not been moved for two months
- damaged and not in a roadworthy condition.
Is it registered?
You can check if a vehicle is unregistered on the VicRoads website
Report an abandoned or unregistered vehicle
If you see a car you believe to be abandoned or unregistered:
- note details, including where the car is parked, a description of the car, and the car's registration (if it has a number plate)
- contact Council on 1300 88 22 33 for investigation.
Report an abandoned or unregister vehicle online
What happens next?
- If the vehicle is deemed abandoned, an officer will attach an Abandoned Vehicle Removal Notice with a set timeframe for removal (usually 7 days).
- If the vehicle is illegally or dangerously parked it may be given 24 hours for removal.
If an unregistered or abandoned vehicle is impounded it will be towed to Shift Towing & Transport, located at 89 Garden Drive, Tullamarine. They can be contacted on 1300 884 623.
The vehicle must be collected within 28 days of being impounded and a release fee will be payable.