The assessment on whether you need a Planning permit is based on the business address, the type of business, the parking needs, and the prior use of the land and permit history. Here are aspects to consider while looking for business premises.
If your business is home-based, see Running a business from home for any Planning Permit requirements.
The location of your business can affect whether you need a Planning Permit, or even if you are permitted to run your business there.
Know your location already? Or ready to sign a lease?
- If you already have a location in mind for your business and would like to get some site-specific advice for your business, you can talk to our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 88 22 33or (03) 9298 4598
- You can submit a business permit enquiry form, or talk to Council’s Business Concierge, to get accurate information on the Council permits required for your business.
We also encourage you to seek independent legal advice before signing a lease for your business, as not all permit applications are approved.
Not sure of the location yet?
Considerations when narrowing down a location for your business are:
- Is the location adjacent to a Road Zone Category 1? You can find this information on the VicPlan website. A planning permit is required to create or alter access to a Road in a Road Zone Category 1.
- Are there any restrictions such as S173 or covenant on the title of the land? You can check the title on the Landata website.
- The premises’ current usage can also impact whether a permit is required. Ask the real-estate agent or the landlord for more information on the current use of the land.
Broadly, most businesses in Maroondah will be located in a Commercial, Industrial or Residential Zone. You can check the Planning Zones and overlays that apply to your business address using VicPlan. The following table can help determine if a Planning Permit is required.
||No permit required
||Prohibited (other than adult sex product shop, convenience shop and restricted retail premises)
Please call Council’s Statutory Planning team on1300 88 22 33or (03) 9298 4598 for site-specific advice on the application of exemptions in the Residential Growth Zone.
Car parking requirements
Car parking arrangements can also affect whether you need a Planning Permit for your business.
You’ll need the following information to assess parking requirements:
- Number of parking spaces The real estate agent can give you information on the number of car park spaces available, as well as the net floor area and leasable floor area at the premises.
- Principal Public Transport Network area - PPTN To see if the business premises is in a Principal Public Transport Network area, download:
Maroondah PPTN area maps
PPTN Area Maps Maroondah
If you don’t meet the minimum car parking requirements shown in the following table, you may need to apply for a Planning Permit.
||4 spaces per 100 sqm. of leasable floor area
3.5 spaces per 100 sqm. of leasable floor area
The presence of planning overlays on your property will influence if a Planning Permit is required for any building works.
If there are no overlays at the premises and:
- you are only planning to carry out internal fit-outs to the building, you do not need a Planning Permit.
- you plan to increase the gross floor area, you may need a Planning Permit.
- you plan to carry out works to the exterior of the building, you may need a Planning Permit.
If there is an overlay at the premises and:
- you are planning to carry out internal or external works, you are likely to need a Planning Permit.
For site-specific advice on whether you need a Planning permit, talk to our Statutory Planning Team or submit an online business permit enquiry.
You may also need a Planning Permit if you want to install advertising signage for your business, depending on the zoning of the premises and the extent of signage proposed. To see if you need a Planning Permit, please contact our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 88 22 33 or (03) 9298 4598.
Ready to apply?
Apply for a Planning Permit