New Prescribed Accommodation Premises

The following premises must be registered with Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008:

  • hotels/motels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • residential accommodation
  • rooming houses

Community Health requirements

In order to register your prescribed accommodation premises, you will be asked to submit detailed plans of the accommodation, which clearly indicate elements such as the number of bedrooms, the size of each room and number of bathrooms. An Environmental Health Officer will contact you after they have assessed your application.

You may also need Planning and Building Permits. For further information, please visit the planning and building sections of our website or our Starting or Growing Your Business page for assistance with the permits you may need.

Pre-application forms for new Prescribed Accommodation Premises

To discuss your application in more detail, including associated fees, please contact the Community Health team on 1300 88 22 33 or email


Pre-application fees prescribed accommodation


Registration fees prescribed accommodation (annual renewal)

Rooming house


Accommodation (4-20 beds)


Accommodation (21-40 beds)


Accommodation (41-60 beds+)


Please note: these fees are subject to change each financial year.

Ongoing requirements

Once registered the premises will be:

  • inspected annually to ensure the accommodation complies with the Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020
  • renewed annually on 1 January each year.

Failure to register prescribed accommodation

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 failure of the operator of a prescribed accommodation to register the premises with their municipal Council may result in a fine of 4 penalty units. Failure of a body corporate to register prescribed accommodation with a municipal council may result in a fine of 10 penalty units.

Further information

For further information on new prescribed accommodation premises, phone Council on 1300 88 22 33.