Subdividing land

Subdivision of land in Maroondah requires planning permit approval from Council. 

Why you need a planning permit

Council approval is provided on the basis that your application:

  • complies with the relevant provisions of ResCode and the Maroondah Planning Scheme (including any minimum lot size)
  • has no material detrimental effect upon occupants of adjacent properties in the locality
  • fits in with the neighbourhood character of the area
  • protects significant vegetation. 

Submit an application

Submit your application with supporting documentation, ensuring that the owner or authorised agent has signed. 

Supporting documentation

You need to include the following with your application:

  • All necessary information required under Clause 56 (ResCode).
  • Current searched copy of the Certificate of Title of the property to be subdivided.
  • Three copies of plan of subdivision prepared by a licensed surveyor.
  • Appropriate fee (Council staff can assist you with the fee structure). 

Apply for a planning permit

What happens next?

Once your application has been submitted, Council will:

  1. assess your plans and information
  2. inspect the property
  3. advertise the application
  4. make a decision on the application. 


Some of the issues taken into consideration are:

  • site context
  • existing vegetation
  • infrastructure
  • neighbourhood character
  • car parking and vehicle access. 


Advertising may be required, especially if the subdivision may impact adjoining properties. Advertising includes:

  • Notifying owners and occupiers of adjoining land by mail.
  • Placing and maintaining a notice on the land for 14 days, and/or
  • Placing a public notice in the local newspaper. 

Additional fees apply for the advertising service.

Consent from referral authorities

All subdivision applications must be provided to referral authorities for their consent, this may include:

  • Yarra Valley Water
  • Melbourne Water
  • Gas and Electricity suppliers
  • Telstra
  • VicRoads
  • CFA. 

Once responses have been received from all referral authorities and advertising is complete, Council will make a decision on the application.


Objections may be lodged by any person who believes they may be impacted by the granting of a permit. The objection must be in writing and received by Council within a specified period.

Make an objection to an advertised planning application

Further Information

Maroondah Planning Scheme

See the Maroondah Planning Scheme on Planning Victoria

Copy of Property Titles (including covenants)

See the Landata Online 

Property Reports (including zoning)

See the Maps and spatial data on Planning Victoria.

Contact Council's Statutory Planning on 1300 88 22 33  or 9298 4598, or visit our offices at Realm, 179 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood.