Road and footpath closure permits

To undertake works on Council-owned roads, footpaths or naturestrips, builders and contractors are required to have a road and/or footpath closure permit before works commence.

Works include:

  • road openings
  • vehicle crossings 
  • service connections
  • landscaping works.

Your responsibilities

Builders and contractors are responsible for the safety of motorists and pedestrians during any works, as well as during any reinstatement works under the Road Management Act. 

It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide appropriate lead-time for the assessment of their application as indicated in the “Apply for a permit” section.”

Apply for a permit

See fees and charges

There are a number of documents that must be submitted with your road or footpath closure permit application.

1. Prepare your supporting documentation

When applying for a road or footpath closure permit you need to provide:

  • current Public Liability Insurance – Certificate of Cover
  • a Traffic Management Plan (incorporating a job site risk assessment). For works that require traffic management when workers are not on site (for example, when concrete is curing overnight), an After-care Traffic Management Plan is also required.
  • a VicRoads approved Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA), if conducting works on an Arterial Road
  • a VicRoads approved Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA), if Major Traffic Control Items will be utilised, such temporary traffic signals
  • written notification to affected businesses/residents/public transport providers if applicable 
  • notification to Emergency Services of possible detours or expected significant delays.

2. Apply either online or in writing

Application for a road or footpath closure permit

3. Application assessment

Based on the number of enquiries received by the Traffic Engineering Team, the assessment timeframe for a Road and Footpath Closure Permit application is 10 business days.

Should additional information be required, further time will be added to the assessment timeframe.

Please note: Council’s Engineers generally do not fast-track assessments. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide appropriate lead-time for the assessment of their application and to schedule works dates with due consideration of the application process and expected timeframes. If you have not received a response to your application following 10 business days, please contact us to request a status update.

Do my works need a Traffic Management Plan?

The Road Management Act defines works "as any kind of activity conducted on or in the vicinity of a road or proposed road in connection with the construction, maintenance or repair of the road or the installation, maintenance or repair of any infrastructure in, on, under or over a road and without limiting the generality of this definition includes—

        (a)     excavating or breaking up the surface of a road;

        (b)     erecting a structure in, on or over a road;

        (c)     removing or interfering with any structure or marking on a road;

        (d)     planting or removing a tree or other vegetation;

        (e)     tunnelling under a road;

        (f)     connecting a road to a road;

        (g)     installing pipes, drains, cables, poles, buildings, shelters or other structures on a road reserve;

        (h)     erecting any obstruction on a road or otherwise impeding the use of a road for the purpose of conducting any works”

The Road Management Act also defines ‘non-road works’ as an activity to be conducted on a road which will significantly interfere with the normal use of a road by road users in accordance with this Act and the regulations. A non-road activity would include the use of a road for the shooting of a film, a bicycle event, a street festival or a street market. 

Council checks the requirements of the TMP against Australian Standards, Austroads Guides and the relevant Acts, Codes and regulations through the Road and Footpath Closure Permit process. If your TMP is deemed suitable for your works, you will be issued a Road and Footpath Closure Permit.

Can I draw a traffic management plan for my own works?

The Code of Practice (Worksite Safety - Traffic Management) made under the Road Management Act 2004 states only:

  • an experienced traffic engineer; or
  • works manager who has either:
    • undertaken a course in traffic management planning (e.g. RIICC503A); or
    • at least 2 years experience in preparing traffic management plans.

Should prepare, approve, review and or make modifications to traffic management plans.